I'm a programmer, I have no life

I have often wondered how would I be if I didn't become a programmer. I have to admit I'm not really a technical person; that is, I'm not really into technology. More often than not, I get stuck into the old ways unless someone pointed out to me the new way of doing it, or I came across something new while researching for an ongoing work. (I can just imagine my boss' eyes popping at this statement 😄)

When I was young, I dreamt of being a doctor, or a social worker, or a marine zoologist. An opera singer even! But then, back in those days when anything computer was the fad, my dad wanted me to get into a program involving anything computer. Despite a lot of drama, tears and sweat, here I am 18 years later, working as a programmer. (I wanted to say software engineer but that might be a bit complicated for some who are not in the field. 😊 )

But despite these realizations, I sometimes find myself working late at night, or at times, at the wee hours of the morning just to finish a project. It's more often than not, driven by a deadline, but then at times, you ended up dreaming about a solution or thought about it too much you just couldn't sleep. Either way, I ended up typing on my keyboard.

When work gets so frustrating, and I can't seem to find the solution, these musings surface. No matter what, I ended up coding anyway.

I guess I have come to love programming. There are different aspects of being a programmer. A lot of analysis, a lot of research. Keeping up to date with what's new everyday is never simple, there's always developments happening all over. Believe it or not, there's also being involved with processes and helping shape teams' way of working (which I love, by the way).

At the end of the day, it boils down to being able to solve a problem one step at a time. The feeling of victory when as simple as making a test run, which you have tried to set up for almost a week, and you're not sure whether it's environment that was bogging down, or something you missed to add. Learning something new and being able to implement it... yeah, it does give that sense of victory. Something you can say with a whisper (and a little bit of arm tug) "Yes!", especially when you're at the office.

And I guess almost, if not all, programmers can relate to the famous Facebook community "I am a programmer, I have no life".

Comments

Popular Posts