Zach and Breakfast


Zach made banana french toast for breakfast one morning. He asked me to help but I was a bit caught up configuring my bank account that he ended up doing it all by himself. While rushing back and forth between cooking and chopping bananas, he then said, "It must be really hard to be a parent." I asked him why, then he said, "You need to cook, take care of the kids, and have to work." It made me teary-eyed thinking how thoughtful this little (big) kid is, that I asked him to hug me 💕

Manong and I try to have an open communication with our kids. It's really important for us that the kids know our current situation. We try to be open as much as possible, so that they understand how and why we came up with our decisions and actions. This way, we can be compassionate and kind to each other. 

In cases like, whenever our economy is tight, that we need to be frugal and contribute to saving resources, so that when they asked for stuff new like shoes, they're sensitive enough to check if it's expensive or not, or if I declined their request, they understand we can't afford it for now. Other instances like whenever any of us are stressed, for example when Zeke needed to study for his upcoming national tests, or when I needed to meet a deadline and work extra hours, other family members can cover up with the other's chores.

Speaking of chores, I also feel that it's important to get the kids involved with household chores as early as possible. It teaches them responsibility and hygiene, as well as, preparing them for an independent life. We started them with simple ones like keeping the dishwasher. Manong and I benefited from this exercise since we have to stay the night in Stockholm for work once a week, and have to leave the kids to fend for themselves. We don't need to worry how they'll prepare their meals since they already know how to cook.

It's not easy being a parent, and everything is trial and error. But whenever you hear these sweet words from your kids, it makes your heart full, and I can't help say to myself "We did well, Manong". It may seem tough to the kids to have these responsibilities flung at them at an early age but I know this is a life lesson that they will carry when they grow up.


Comments

Popular Posts