Overflow




Sometime last January, Linköpings kommun published a map of the city, indicating areas with risk of flooding. I was wondering about the timing of this article, considering rainy days are usually in July. I felt it was too early to worry about flooding.

While on our walk, I realised the water level has risen due to the melting snow. The stream was almost a meter high, if not as high, compared to what it was during summer. The water was rushing through, faster and louder than usual.

Funny, my brain still has a hard time associating snow with rain until now 😅 

Thoughts of summer crossed my mind. I hope summer won't be too harsh this year, considering how much it snowed this winter. I wish it's possible to hold all this water so that even when summer is too dry, there is this much reserve. Unfortunately, nature doesn't work that way. The trees and the soil can only hold so much, and then it would release all those excess into the water channels.

This also applies to us, humans, doesn't it? Whatever it is we fill our minds and hearts, it reflects how we treat the people around us. When we fill ourselves with thoughts of gratitude, positivity and generosity, we can't help but spread and share these with those we love, and even to strangers.

And just like when we fill our hearts with negativity; always criticising, never satisfied, never content, ungrateful, well, what then do we spread? (Almost) Every word that comes out of our mouth is venomous. Our thoughts are troubled, angry, and worse, bitter. We lash out to the people around us. And who is most affected? Those closest to us, unfortunately. We see the bad side of almost everything. We perceive the world to be such a nasty, dark and unhappy place to be in.

Empty that heart of negativity. Fill it instead with positivity. 

As Hillsong's One Day goes

So blessed, I can't contain it
So much, I've got to give it away
Your love has taught me to live now
You are more than enough for me

And with this, life is simpler, life is more enjoyable, life is more beautiful. 

Comments

Popular Posts