Breastfeeding Is Still Best For Babies

There's one thing I've discovered these past two months, exclusive breastfeeding is a lot of sacrifice.

I thought it would be just giving milk whenever your little one asks for it. What I haven't counted on was that during the first few weeks, since milk is not that much yet, Zach (my newborn) asks for it every so often. So I found myself lying on the bed the whole day.

But it doesn't stop there. It can't be helped that I have to go on errands so I have to find a way to store milk. I wake up in the middle of the night to pump milk and have it stored but even this is not enough to provide exclusive breastfeeding. There are times that I get too tired from lack of sleep so I don't have the energy to get up.  I have no choice but to supplement Zach with powdered milk.

This usually leaves me little time for my eldest, Zeke. Good thing, he's independent and doesn't mind doing things on his own. I'm also grateful he helps me take care of Zach - fetching things here and there and stuff.

But my time is not for my kids alone. I have a household to attend to. I have a husband whom also needs attention (even if he denies it LOL!). I have family and friends that I also have need to meet, as well. And last but not the least, I need a "me" time.

All these, moms tend to forego for the benefit of giving the best nutrition. Imagine moms giving almost 2 years of their life just for their baby's needs.

I have trouble imagining myself going through all of these but I strive to. Not only it is beneficial for my baby but it also helps our finances. I was able to do away with almost Php1000 worth of powdered milk a week because of the milk I provide.

I am at awe and inspired by these moms. I bet they go through depression or isolation - being kept in the house (or just between house and work) almost all the time. I did; unable to do things I normally would have done or have time of my own.

I remember a friend taking care of a newborn and her toddler without household help. And here I was complaining despite with two helps to assist me. Salute, Mav!

I give kudos to the moms who truly sacrificed a lot for their kids. And because of this, I have come to appreciate my mom more than I ever did. Thanks, Mommy!


P.S. There's no discounting the dads' assistance to moms. It's just a matter of fact that in rearing a child, especially when taking care of newborns, a mom tends to do most of the work. It's also unfair to the dads since they only have 7 days of paternal leave and have to attend to their day job. Our social benefit in the Philippines *shrugs*

Comments

Popular Posts