The Perks of Being a Wallflower

If you're looking for a feel-good book, this is NOT the book to read.

After reading it, hubby asked how it was and the only word I can come up with was "DISTURBING".

I didn't know what to expect from the book except that it has a weird format, sort of a diary type, and that it was about coming of age. I had trouble adjusting to the format at first cause I felt there was no continuity, like bits and pieces of information being put together. Eventually, I got the hang of it.

If you've read The Catcher in the Rye, you can sense its influence. I'm not really sure if it was really inspired by it but the book was mentioned a number of times in the story. It somehow has the same tone - monotonic yet dark. It was about the confusion of teenagers; although, not as extreme as The Catcher in the Rye. I sincerely hope this is not what most of the adoloscents are going through now.

Fortunately, the book ends with a resolution. I was thankful for that, otherwise, I think it would have left me more than disturbed after.

Teenage years are often one of the most turbulent times. It's a time when we felt dazed and confused - rebellion, trying and experimenting with things, among others. It's essential for parents to be able to guide their children at this stage and be able to communicate with them.

The book was also a glimpse of how a loner thinks. That's why he was called a wallflower because he didn't truly participate in the events in his life. He was just a bystander.

The one thing that I can relate to in the book, though was how it is to be shy and quiet... Nah, just kidding LOL! I can relate to how the main character always observe things and go overboard with the analysis after. It felt like I was reading about myself then. That made me feel normal.

I'm rating this book 4.5 out of 5. If you can handle this, do read this book.

Comments

Popular Posts