The Girl Who Kicked Ass

A book review of Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy, better known as the The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

The book The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was recommended by a couple friend, D and Kobe. It came up while we were discussing about migration. My curiosity was piqued when Kobe said despite Sweden being one of the most, if not the most livable country, in the world, they still have some social issues like trafficking and migration problems.

The first book The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was about a powerful family in Sweden but had a dark past. It was full of suspense and had lots of twists that I found it hard to put the book down. I love the way how Larsson unraveled each secret and introduced another complication to the story. I thought the ending was predictable but turned out to be a surprise, after all.

The other installments, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest were only related to the first book through its characters but has a different storyline of its own. These were about how Mikael Blomkvist, an investigative journalist came across trafficking and underground prostitution being run in Sweden and how Lisbeth Salander, his former research assistant was involved.

Disclaimer: I haven't really read any suspense thrillers so I have no point of comparison.

Women's rights has always been a topic close to my heart. I guess this what makes the trilogy appealing to me. Be warned, that when reading these, the scenes are graphic and violent. It stirs a lot of emotions of torture and suffering.

As for the characters of the book, I found Lisbeth to be too much of  a superwoman. She somehow bordered on being a superhero, despite her built. I dubbed her "the girl who kicked ass" because that was what she did the whole time. On the other hand, Blomkvist's character was too much of a womanizer which was a suprise since the theme was prostitution. But I guess, I'm a conservative and traditionalist when it comes to relationships and had a hard time accepting these views.

All in all, the trilogy was a good read. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Comments

Popular Posts